[OAI-implementers] Reconsidering mandatory DC in OAI-PMH

Alan Kent ajk@mds.rmit.edu.au
Wed, 6 Aug 2003 10:31:43 +1000

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 02:50:35PM +0200, Sandro Zic wrote:
> I cannot talk for the OAI project, all I say is that from my perpective, the
> two *are* logically distinct projects from a technical point of view: There's
> an OIA-PMH and OAI-DC project.

This an interesting possible line - that is, have two standards:

(1) OAI-PMH - the protocol for delivering XML records

(2) OAI-DC - repository conformance requirements

People putting repositories up for general usage must conform to
OAI-DC if they want to claim that.

One repository could also conform to several such standards at the
same time. Eg: OAI-DC and OAI-MARCXML.

This would leave DC as a 'requirement for conformance' in a standard,
(just a different standard than OAI-PMH). Making it a recommendation
only does weaken the position of DC I must admit.

Alan