[OAI-implementers] Reconsidering mandatory DC in OAI-PMH
Mon, 04 Aug 2003 15:50:51 -0600
At 03:49 PM 8/4/2003 -0400, Carl Lagoze wrote:
>1. Change the Dublin Core requirement to a recommendation.
>2. Leave oai_dc as a reserved metadataPrefix
>3. Move the oai_dc part of protocol document to Implementation
>We invite members of this list to contribute their thoughts on this.
I'm not going to provide feedback on the proposal :-) but will instead
self-promote ;-) and re-provide a link to my master's thesis results, which
are relevant to this discussion. For my thesis, I analyzed usage of the
unqualified DC Element Set in OAI-PMH DPs. I sent the results out and a
link to the full thesis to the OAI-General mailing list last December 2002.
A 3-page summary of the thesis is available via:
Or, you can read the full results starting from page 25 at:
Also available on my web site is the raw data I used, as well as multiple
charts, graphs, etc. Go to: http://www.foar.net/research/index.html and
click on the link "Master's Paper", then the link "All Figures and Tables".
This research describes an empirical study of how the Dublin Core Metadata
Element Set (DCMES) is used by 100 Data Providers (DPs) registered with the
Open Archives Initiative (OAI). The research was conducted to determine
whether or not the DCMES is used to its full capabilities.
Eighty-two of 100 DPs have metadata records available for analysis. DCMES
usage varies by type of DP. The average number of Dublin Core elements per
record is eight, with an average of 91,785 Dublin Core elements used per
DP. Five of the 15 elements of the DCMES are used 71% of the time. The
results show the DCMES is not used to its fullest extent within DPs
registered with OAI.
Jewel H. Ward
Graduate Research Assistant, Post-master's
Los Alamos National Laboratory