[OAI-implementers] Scientific journal metadata

Jeremy Keeler jkeeler@allenpress.com
Fri, 01 Aug 2003 17:00:16 -0500

Greetings,

I'm implementing an OAI repository of scientific journals, but I'm not sure
what to do with the volume, issue and page metadata for the unqualified dc
format. I've read a few debates over this but I've not seen where it's been
solved.

I had thought about adding a bibiographic record in dc.source, as in...
<dc:source>Journal of Some Research 120(3), 133-165</dc:source>

But I can see arguments against this.

It seems logical to acknowledge that this metadata can not exist in
unqualified dc format, and encourage harvesters to use our more-specific
metadata format. This would mean unqualified dc from our repository would
be fairly useless.

Is this the accepted way to expose scientific journals through OAI?

Thanks,
Jeremy Keeler

Jeremy Keeler
Electronic Publishing | Allen Press, Inc.
mailto:jkeeler@allenpress.com | (800) 627-0327 168