[OAI-implementers] User Specific Archive Access

Xiaoming Liu liu_x@lanl.gov
22 Apr 2003 09:05:42 -0600

On Tue, 2003-04-22 at 06:40, Michael Krot wrote:

> As far as background information, we are an archive with about 400
> journal titles and millions of records.  Users will only be able to
> harvest metadata for those journals that they have subscribed to - that
> should be a problem I can handle.  Things get tricky when we start to
> look at what is available WITHIN the journal.  Some users will have
> access to the entire journal from start to finish, other users will only
> have access to records up until a certain year (usually 5 years before
> the present year).  This isn't so hard to manage either, until you start
> to think about a user asking for new or changed content.  What is "new"
> or changed will be different for each harvester, depending on their
> access rights.

One possible solution is to create virtual repository for each user (the
institutional subscriber), such as http://an.org/{userid}/oai, since
automatic URL mapping can be used, this task may not be very hard. For
each user you may have a profile which maintains access right.

xiaoming liu