[OAI-implementers] Beginner questions

Tim Brody tim@tim.brody.btinternet.co.uk
Tue, 08 Apr 2003 02:21:18 +0100

Identifier in the metadata is a Dublin Core identifier, identifier in
the header is a unique identifier within your repository.

Dublin Core is a list of unordered, repeatable string values (although
you should use proper URIs, ISO dates etc. where applicable).

See the Dublin Core docs for what Type, Format, etc. are:
http://www.dublincore.org/documents/dces/
(Dublincore.org seems to be down atm so I can't check that's the
description doc ...)

e.g.
Header.identifier = "oai:myrepos:uniqueid10"

DC.identifier = "http://www.myrepos.com/item/10"
DC.identifier = "oai:myrepos:unique10" (i.e. you could also include the
OAI identifier in the metadata)
DC.identifier = "New Order Journal, V202 30-40"
DC.type = "Text"
DC.format = "text/html"
DC.date = "2002-04"
and so on ...