[OAI-implementers] implement a repository

Hussein Suleman hussein@cs.uct.ac.za
Thu, 03 Apr 2003 13:22:06 +0200

hi Luis

if you already have a collection of metadata and/or data using digital
library software such as EPrints, DSpace or Greenstone for
management/access, then you must look at the documentation for that
software for how to activate the OAI interface.

if you already have a collection of metadata and/or data, but the
software to manage/access the collection is largely home-grown (e.g., a
bunch of Web scripts/applications) or does not already support the
OAI-PMH, then you or a developer of the software needs to write code to
implement the OAI-PMH specification for your collection - the spec is on
the OAI website and isn't too complicated to get up and running if you
know a bit about Web applications.

if you have the metadata and/or data but aren't using any software to
manage it, then may i recommend looking at EPrints (www.eprints.org) and
Greenstone (www.nzdl.org) as possible candidates. there are lots of
other packages, but if you want a widely-used standalone package with
OAI support, these may be a good starting point. alternatively, look at
the OAI website and you will find little tools to make
"mini-repositories", e.g., the "OAI Static Repository" for repositories
that don't change over time and the "XML File-based Repository" for
repositories where each metadata object is a single (usually XML) file.

lastly, if you have neither the data nor the software already, i suggest
that you determine the requirements for your repository, and then adopt
an existing package (e.g., EPrints, Greenstone, DSpace, CDSWare,
GaneshaDL, ...) to manage your digital library.

now if you need help on how to write code for an OAI interface, i would
suggest looking at the tutorials that are available on OAI-PMH. if you
go through the OAI's website, there is an older article by Simeon Warner
linked from the "Documents/OAI-related papers" page. (if someone has
newer material, please post links). i also have slides from last year's
JCDL tutorial on practical implementation of the protocol - these can be
found at:
   http://www.dlib.vt.edu/projects/OAI/index.html#reports

hope this info helps.

ttfn,
----hussein

ps should we have something like this - maybe a flowchart - in the FAQ?

hussein suleman ~ hussein@cs.uct.ac.za ~ http://www.husseinsspace.com