[OAI-implementers] Inquiry!!!

Simeon Warner simeon@cs.cornell.edu
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 10:29:41 -0400 (EDT)

Arslan,

Your question is a little like the question "what is contained within a
bag?" ... pretty hard to answer in the general case.

It seems that you really need a better spec for your project if you intend
to do anything with the metadata other than re-export it. From the OAI-PMH
point of view, "the metadata" is simply the XML block encased by
<metadata> tags within a record (identified by identifier, metadataPrefix,
and datestamp)
[http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/2.0/openarchivesprotocol.htm#Record].
If all you intend to do is harvest and re-export the metadata then you
need know no more than this.

For an introduction to metadata in the context of an OAI-based system, try
reading the Overview section of Diane Hillmann's "NSDL Metadata Primer"
[http://metamanagement.comm.nsdlib.org/overview.html]

Cheers,
Simeon.