[OAI-implementers] resumptionToken and metadataPrefix

Alan Kent ajk@mds.rmit.edu.au
Mon, 27 May 2002 11:18:25 +1000

On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 11:42:36AM -0400, David Smith wrote:
> Some data providers will not respond properly
> to the resumptionToken unless a metadataPrefix is supplied. Others
> appear to object to including metadataPrefix.

I found the same behaviour. The OAI 1.0/1.1 spec was a bit ambiguous
in its original form (it said metadataPrefx was *required*, and
resumptionToken was *exclusive*). So I know at least one implementation
interpreted the ambiguity as metadataPrefix must always be there
(in addition to the resumptionToken). In OAI 2.0 is been clarified
so that you must not specify metadataPrefix if resumptionToken is
specified. I found *more* OAI 1.0/1.1 servers worked this way than
requiring both resumptionToken and metadataPrefix.

So I would support everyone else's comments and recommend you don't
supply metadataPrefix when you use a resumptionToken.

Alan
--
Alan Kent (mailto:ajk@mds.rmit.edu.au, http://www.mds.rmit.edu.au/~ajk/)
Project: TeraText Technical Director, InQuirion Pty Ltd (www.inquirion.com)