[OAI-implementers] Metadata where the full text is unavailable

ePrints Support eprints-support@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu, 16 May 2002 11:17:04 +0100

Hi, I'm actually creating an OAI archive for a change, rather than just
building software to do it.

Our department archive is not yet OAI compliant (bows head in shame) but
will be soon. The issue is that I've got 7000 metadata records but only
a fraction of these have the full-text in electronic format associated with
them. Some of these are *only* archived and may not be made available on
the web.

It's fustrating for people to find a record and then be unable to get the
full text.

Should I:
 a) Export ALL metadata via OAI regardless of availability of full text
 b) (This is my provisional plan) Only export OAI metadata for records
     for which the full text is publically accessable.
 c) Somehow indicate in the metadata if the full text is unavailable.

It's an unusual situation, but the archive is used as a public service,
a department archive (so we don't lose the electronic copy, even if it's
not public), and used to keep track of the publications of department
members for statistics, CV's etc.

--

 Christopher Gutteridge                   eprints-support@ecs.soton.ac.uk
 ePrints2 Coder, Support and Stuff        +44 23 8059 4833