[OAI-implementers] dublin core clarification?

deridder deridder@cs.utk.edu
Fri, 10 May 2002 11:46:26 -0400 (EDT)

 I know this is a simple and perhaps stupid question, but I'd rather
*look* stupid than *be* stupid.  We have some confusion over here:

 Do the Dublin Core elements describe the original item, or the
    digitized objects made from that item?

The DC webpages simply say all the elements refer to the "resource",
but I'm not clear as to whether that "resource" is the digital one,
or the  original item.

 Example:
   A multi-page letter, written in 1869, is the original document;
   An SGML transcription with accompanying JPEGs for each page,
      comprise the digitized object.

 Does the "date" element refer to the creation of the digitized object,
   or the date the letter was written?
 Does the "creator" refer to the person who scanned the document and
   transcribed its contents, or does it refer to the original author
   of the letter?
 Does the "format" list text/sgml and JPEGS, or simply text?  And
   if this original document was an old JPEG about which metadata
   was created, is the correct format JPEG and that metadata format?
   Or just "photgraph"?

 I have found we have a mix of both in our files at present, and I need
 some clarity so I can clean up this mess and prevent future madness!!
  (I would like my scripts and repository to be correct!!!)

Thank you in advance!!!!

   --jody

   PGPKey: http://www.cs.utk.edu/~deridder/jd-pgp.txt