[OAI-implementers] Dublin Core XML and OAI

Michael L. Nelson mln@ils.unc.edu
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 14:33:49 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Marty McClelland wrote:

> > Also are there any standard subject classifications being used, or
> > are data providers creating their own?
>
> I am also curious about standard subject classifications.  In iLumina,
> the browse and advanced search features give views on the data by
> discipline classification.  For example - Computer Science objects have
> been cataloged based on ACM/IEEE Computing Curricula 2001 Classification
> Scheme.  Metadata has been imported via OAI for Computer Science
> learning resources using ACM Computing Classification System.

a quick look through:

http://arc.cs.odu.edu:8080/dp9/index.jsp
(for each repository: click on info, click on "ListSets")

shows that maybe 1/2 of the 60 DPs listed employ sets, and many of the
sets have the appearance of subject classification systems.

how many of them are "standard" is another question...

to my end, http://techreports.larc.nasa.gov/ltrs/oai/ uses the NASA STI
Subject Categories:

ftp://ftp.sti.nasa.gov/pub/scan/SCAN-TOPICS

on the other hand, http://naca.larc.nasa.gov/oai/ has no subject
information, since NACA predates the NASA STI categories.  I've been
wondering if I should just declare all the NACA records in category
"01 - Aeronautics (General)"; I'm not sure if that helps or hurts.

regards,

Michael