[OAI-implementers] restricted and free records

Hussein Suleman hussein@vt.edu
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 11:53:07 -0500

hi

some thoughts ...

the mechanisms for doing what you propose are to some degree already in
place. some additional work needs to be done within specific communities
however ... to elaborate,

firstly, i am not sure if you mean "restricted resources" or "restricted
records". if the former then intellectual property and usage information
could go into the Dublin Core 'metadata/dc/rights' field. if the latter,
then the same information pertains to the record rather than to the
resource and the information should ideally go into the
'about/dc/rights' field.

now, some things to consider:

- what if the the metadata is not dc only ? other metadata formats have
places in which to add such information - IMS, for example, has a
'rights' category

- the problem with most metadata formats is that there is no
machine-readable vocabulary. that is a separate problem and can be
resolved independently of making the relevant containers available.
there are a couple of projects out there - try http://odrl.net/. i have
seen a simpler scheme but cannot remember who is working on that - maybe
someone on this mailing list can help ...

- if you really want to protect your data, what is there to stop a
service provider from ignoring the rights information ? especially if
the sp does not understand the rights language you are using ... maybe
an access control list in the data provider would be better ?

- what if you are using the about container for something else already ?
in v2, "about" will be repeatable!

- in most metadata formats, rights are human-readable strings ... on the
other hand, most rights management schemes are structured - hence, for
example, i do not believe you can encode the ODRL scheme in DC ... so
either you do not use DC, you use extensions, you serialize (aka fudge)
the structured rights data, or we completely revisit the notion of simple dc

the bottom line is unfortunately that until there is a requirement for
service providers to respect rights statements (and ignore records if
they do not understand the statements), nobody is going to do it

a quick question to anyone who harvests data: do you read the "rights"
field of every record you harvest ? e.g., does anyone read the stuff we
put into the VTETD dc.rights fields ?

ttfn
----hussein