[OAI-implementers] Better resumption mechanism - more important than ever!

Simeon Warner simeon@cs.cornell.edu
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 10:46:44 -0500 (EST)

I agree with Michael. A repository such as ETDCat should be willing to put
the extra effort in to make harvesting easy and this can be done without
creating any additional barrier for small repositories. I suggest
that ETDCat should use stateless and reusable resumptionTokens.

The question I see is whether we should come up with a standard way to say
"my resumptionTokens are stateless/reusable". Since this is clearly a
repository-level property the obvious place to put such information would
be in the Identify response. My feeling is that this probably shouldn't be
part of the core protocol so a <description> block would be the best
option. Alternatively it could just become 'standard practice' for
harvesters to attempt to restart a harvest by reusing a resumptionToken
and assuming all is okay if no error is returned.

Cheers,
Simeon.

[aside: in arXiv we have a few days with a significant number of updates,
something like 24k. I build resumptionTokens that just code the from,
until, set and metadataPrefix parameters for a request to continue the
harvest. Since I limit the number of records returned to about 1000, this
means that I have to split the 24k-days. I do this by adding an index
within the datestamp. e.g.:
- usual form: 1997-04-23_2002-01-01__oai_dc
- with index: 1997-11-13#23774_2002-01-01__oai_dc
]