[OAI-implementers] <datestamp> format please

herbert van de sompel hvdsomp@yahoo.com
Sat, 02 Mar 2002 09:32:34 +0000

Alan,

Alan Kent wrote:

> I am having trouble working out the legal format for <datestamp> from
> the spec. The spec says in requests use YYYY-MM-DD and in responses
> use the ISO format with a time as well. <datestamp> is in a reponse
> but seems to use the request format in all the examples.

datestamps in 1.1 are YYYY-MM-DD, which is ISO8601
responseDates in 1.1 are YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ssTZD which is ISO8601

> sceti returns '2001-09-28T11:27:13-04:00' (ISO format).

correct

> scout return '1997-09-17 00:00:00' which does not match any format.

incorrect

> How forgiving should I be on date formats? At present I mark the
> server as bad and ignore it from then on. I can be more forgiving,
> but are people more interested in fixing their problems?

The above problem is one of those instances where it should be trivial
for a repository to make a fix.  Why not just send an e-mail to the
admin, and report the problem?

greetings

herbert