[OAI-implementers] Status of my.OAI

François Schiettecatte francois@fsconsult.com
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 07:24:50 -0400

Hi

I wanted to update everyone on the status of my.OAI. Unfortunately I am
going to have to pull the plug on further development of the system. I am
going to be putting in one final update this weekend and that will be all,
and it is very likely that I am going to pull the system altogether at the
end of July.

This project has been fun to work on and I started off with three goals:

- First was to develop a new search user interface to my search engine on
top of a new API I developed which allows searching of very different
databases with a single U/I. This was achieved rather well I feel, the U/I
can search databases served up by my own search engine or databases on
PubMed without modification.

- Second was to provide a good, free, search interface to the slowly
increasing volume of OAI accessible data out there, I think that was
achieved too.

- Third was to focus some attention onto my products and my consulting
services by building a showcase system and generate some business. That part
has not worked out at all. The fact that the consulting market appears to
have collapsed makes it very difficult for me to justify keeping this system
running, indeed my collocated server.

So unless things really pick up, which I doubt given the current state of
the economy, I will most likely be pulling the system at the end of July.

Best regards

Francois

François Schiettecatte                               FS Consulting, Inc.
Phone : (617) 909-2504                  35 Washington Square North, # 2,
                                                        Salem, MA, 01970
Email : francois@fsconsult.com           URL : http://www.fsconsult.com/