[OAI-implementers] XSD file for qualified DC

herbert van de sompel herbertv@lanl.gov
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 09:03:25 -0600

hi Jean-Yves,

I have a few comments:

* The Library of Congress recently released an XML Schema for MARC21 records, which could be used in stead of
oai_marc.  As the Library of Congress definitely has more authorithy than the OAI when it comes to MARC
records, I would say that usage of their format is preferred from now on.  The LoC recognized that we did not
have an alternative in the OAI-world but to create our own schema before they released theirs, and as a
result they have been so kind to provide an XSLT to migrate records from oai_marc to LoC MARC21 XML format.
see http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/2.0/guidelines-marcxml.htm

* The approach you have taken is the "all-in-one" as opposed to the "parallel" approach we have been
discussing on this list.  In doing so, some non-standard MARC stuff has been done.  As far as I can tell,
nothing in what you have done will prevent you from adhering to a "parallel" approach once a guideline for
such would be released, because the core of your work is the parsing out of individual information-entities
and tagging them appropriately. Using the markup that you currently have, it should be posibble to convert to
a "parallel" format of the kind I suggested.  As a matter of fact, if you would be interested, I am very
willing to explore this path with you.  Please feel free to contact me directly for further discussion.

greetings

herbert