[OAI-implementers] XSD file for qualified DC

Ann Apps ann.apps@man.ac.uk
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 13:55:07 GMT1BST

Carl, Herbert,

I agree with Carl's proposal here. But I think that any XML schemas
to cover citations should be based on the work Herbert is doing for
OpenURL, rather than more of us cooking something up. Otherwise
we would be in danger of duplicating effort again, and OpenURL is
heading towards standardisation. Then we could include citation
information within an openurl namespace in OAI-PMH, so we could
have something like:

<dcterms:citation>
  <openurl:jtitle>Lecture Notes in Computer Science</openurl:jtitle>
  <openurl:atitle>Dublin Core Metadata for Electronic
Journals</openurl:atitle>
  <openurl:aulast>Apps</openurl:aulast>
    etc
  <openurl:admin_ver>Z39.XX-NN</openurl:admin_ver>
</dcterms:citation>

or wrapped by <dcterms:references> for references [and making
assumptions about dcterms:citation, otherwise wrapped by
dc:identifier]

Herbert, please correct me if I have got this wrong! I assume we
could use an OpenURL namspace before it becomes a 'real'
standard. And that we can do this as part of OpenURL version 1.0
(because it would not have a resolver).

If we utilise an OpenURL schema, we can immediately do citations
for more than just journal articles, such as conference papers,
books and parts, patents, etc.

I think it would still need some agreement with DCMI, that the
OpenURL schema could be used within the particular DC
elements, but hopefully this would be acceptable because it
doesn't depend on a DC structured value. [However I do still
advocate a DCSV for the literal string citation, being less cryptic
than OpenURL for human reading, but that is outside the scope of
OAI.]

Best wishes,
	Ann