[OAI-implementers] XSD file for qualified DC

herbert van de sompel herbertv@lanl.gov
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 09:16:44 -0600

hi all,

regarding the citations discussion:

I think this is a point where some OAI, DCMI and OpenURL work could converge, and
hence I feel that it would be good to have some thorough discussion about this.

I would like to remind you of the work Andy Powell has done in using OpenURL's as
citation formats (see http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue27/metadata/).  Given the
status of OpenURL when Andy wrote the paper, I did not feel confident about
promoting the suggested approach.  However, given the way in which OpenURL
evolves in the context of its NISO standardization, I definitely think the line
of thought introduced by Andy deserves some very close attention.

Elements supporting this line of thought include:
- the mere fact of OpenURL becoming a standard;
- the extensibility mechanism that is being built in, that allows for its
adoption for a wide variety of "material" types;
- the fact that it can be used to cite not only the "thing" but also the context
in which the "thing" appears;
- the idea to do work on an OpenURI (say an OpenURL without BASE-URL);
- the notion of the context-object (see Bison-Fute paper -
http://www.dlib.org/dlib/july01/vandesompel/07vandesompel.html) underlying the
new version of OpenURL, which includes the possibility of  "rendering" a citation
of "thing" and context in different ways, i.e not only as name-value pairs;
- the fact that OpenURL can build on identifiers of whichever namespace.

Instead of pointing you at the technical details of the upcoming OpenURL, I
invite you to look at some examples at
http://lib-www.lanl.gov/~herbertv/niso/OpenURL-BNF-examples-v7.htm .  And please
remind that encoding would not necessarily have to be name=value.

many greetings

herbert

--
Herbert Van de Sompel
digital library research & prototyping

objects on mirror sites are closer than they appear