[OAI-implementers] Re: Problem with Repository Explorer

Alan Kent ajk@mds.rmit.edu.au
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 10:23:43 +1000

On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 07:16:16PM -0400, Hussein Suleman wrote:
> the spec says "noRecordsMatch- The combination of the values of the
> from, until , and set arguments results in an empty list"
>
> now, if from>until and both are independently legal dates, then in a
> set-theoretic sense the combination of these parameters results in an
> empty set. thus, the re expects to find "noRecordsMatch".
>
> does this make sense ? or should i be accepting both errors (the other
> being badArgument) ?
>
> ttfn,
> ----hussein
>
> cc: oai-implementors: if anyone does not agree with this interpretation,
> now would be a good time to mention it :)

Well, I still maintain that zero matches should not be an error.
Its just a response with zero matches. But that is probably too late now.

Regarding should from>until be a badArgument or noRecordsMatch, or
both, if the spec does not mandate one or the other, both errors
make complete sense to me.

Alan