[OAI-implementers] New American Memory photograph collections OAI-ready

Caroline Arms caar@loc.gov
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 15:02:15 -0400 (EDT)

OAI-implementers,

Through our version 2.0 interface
  [baseURL: http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/oai2_0]
records for two additional American Memory collections/sets of photographs
are now available for harvesting (in Dublin Core and MARC formats).

I am interested in firming up a transition plan from 1.1 to 2.0.  Are
there any harvesters (service providers) out there who see LC's American
Memory materials as an important component of their service who do not
expect to be harvesting using version 2 within 3 months (i.e. by the end
of October)?  I chose the 3 month deadline for withdrawing 1.1 service
arbitrarily and am certainly prepared to pick another date.  I'm just
hoping to have the planned date advertised with our list of available
collections at:
  http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/oamh/lcoa1_content.html

The two new collections include one that has been recently released (Ansel
Adams's Manzanar photos) and an American Memory favorite from the
project's beginnings (Panoramic Photographs).  More detail follows.

"Suffering Under a Great Injustice": Ansel Adams's Photographs of
Japanese-American Internment at Manzanar
  http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/aamhtml/aamhome.html

photographer, documented the Manzanar War Relocation Center in California
and the Japanese Americans interned there during World War II. The
collection presents for the first time side-by-side digital scans of both
Adams's 242 original negatives and his 209 photographic prints, allowing
viewers to see his darkroom technique and in particular how he cropped his
prints. Adams's Manzanar work is a departure from his signature style of
landscape photography. Although a majority of the photographs are
portraits, the images also include views of daily life, agricultural
scenes, and sports and leisure activities.

Taking the Long View: Panoramic Photographs, 1851-1991
  http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/pnhtml/pnhome.html

four thousand images featuring American cityscapes, landscapes, and group
portraits. They offer an overview of the nation, its enterprises and its
interests, with a focus on the start of the twentieth century when the
panoramic photo format was at the height of its popularity. Subject
strengths include: agricultural life; beauty contests; disasters;
engineering work such as bridges, canals and dams; fairs and expositions;
military and naval activities, especially during World War I; the oil
industry; schools and college campuses, sports, and transportation. The
images date from 1851 to 1991 and depict scenes in all fifty states and
the District of Columbia. More than twenty foreign countries and a few
U.S. territories are also represented. These panoramas average between
twenty-eight inches and six feet in length, with an average width of ten
inches.

  Enjoy harvesting and exploring these.

Caroline Arms                                         caar@loc.gov
Office of Strategic Initiatives