[OAI-implementers] Looking for 2.0 server with completeListSize in resumptionToken

Tim Brody tim@tim.brody.btinternet.co.uk
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 17:39:51 +0100

Hi Alan,

I haven't noticed any replies to your mail, so I'll throw in my tuppence
worth:

1) Not as far as I know. And, IMHO, it is very unlikely there ever will be
(knowing how big a response set is does not help the fact that the entire
response has to be harvested, so why does it matter?).

2) Versioning is an issue that hasn't been addressed by the OAI community? I
have made the assumption that the top-level element of an OAI response
contains a namespace identifier which can be resolved to a version. I have a
table of XMLNS -> version (e.g.
'http://www.openarchives.org/oai/1.0/oai_getrecord' => '1.0'), with some
capability to account for variability in implementation (e.g. convert to
lowercase, remove tailing /).

3) "Whats in a name" etc. As we are currently in an ambiguous area between
1.x and 2.0, and with high variability between implementations, I'm relying
on the baseURL to identify repositories. For Celestial I'm not thinking too
hard about record identifier collisions (Citebase only talks to 3
repositories, so any problems can be hand-resolved).

All the best,
Tim.