[OAI-implementers] Problems with defining sets

Akbar, Gul Gul.Akbar@bl.uk
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 14:55:54 -0000

Would somebody be able to supply some information (or provide a link to some
existing information) that explains how to set up sets. I have read the
protocol document but it doesn't explain how sets are implemented.
As far as I can make out a set could just be a directory. However, if a
record belongs in more than one set (eg the sets are grouped by institutions
(as in the protocol) AND subject then there is the potential for records to
be duplicated - making it difficult to ensure that all records about a
particular resource are synchronised.
The protocol states that the "repository's set hierarchy is represented in
the protocol via setSpecs". However, it dosn't state how to define a
setSpec. Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Gul Akbar.

legally privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you
are not the intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify
the postmaster@bl.uk : The contents of this e-mail must not be
disclosed or copied without the sender's consent.

The statements and opinions expressed in this message are those of
the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the British
Library. The British Library does not take any responsibility for
the views of the author.