[OAI-implementers] OAI Aggregator

Martin Vesely Martin Vesely <Martin.Vesely@cern.ch>
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 20:02:45 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

>Having read the article http://documents.cern.ch/ettdh/doc/public/OAIRSF.html
>which talks about hierarchical harvesting, is the idea then for this
>package to collect data from multiple data providers, then provide the
>data to multiple service providers?

For detailed description of hierarchical harvesting see:
http://www.dlib.org/dlib/april01/liu/04liu.html

This is an architectural issue and I think as such it does not cause
conflicts.

The critical point here is the usage of OAI identifiers, depending on the
interpretation of OAI-PMH statement. Reading the protocol:

"A unique identifier is a key for extracting metadata from an item in a
repository.",

the intepretation of this statement seems ambiguous and I think that
Alan's question was answered for one instance only (OAIA), but not in
general, as this concerns all service providers that act as data providers
at the same time:

>Hmmm, serious question time!
>
>Does the aggregator keep the original identifiers for metadata (or
>assign new local identifiers)?

So the question is: Does the protocol require that service providers keep
the original identifiers?

Thank you,
Martin

--
CERN Document Server ** <http://cds.cern.ch/> ** <cds.support@cern.ch>
Room: Bldg 510-1-015 ** Voice: +41-22-7673527 ** Fax: +41-22-7678142