[OAI-implementers] OAI Identifiers

Simeon Warner simeon@cs.cornell.edu
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 10:45:58 -0500 (EST)

If I recall, when the oai identifier scheme was proposed it was felt that
benefit of a layer of abstract permitting persisitence of ids even if URLs
change outweighed the possible registration difficulties. Note that the
schema says:
    <!-- * A "repositoryIdentifier" that is a unique identifier for a -->
    <!-- repository.  Its uniqueness will be tested as part of a -->
    <!-- registration process.  The repositoryIdentifier is case -->
    <!-- sensitive and may contain the characters [a-z]|[A-Z]|[0-9] -->
    <!-- e.g. arXiv, VTETD. -->

Note also that OAI-PMH does not mandate this scheme and not all registered
repositories have chosen to use it.

Cheers,
Simeon