[OAI-implementers] Validating ListMetadataFormats

Leigh Dodds ldodds@ingenta.com
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 17:25:44 -0000

> Of course it is trivial to write a program to do the test, but I was hoping
> to find a fully declarative solution, so that our formal requirements
> [http://www.language-archives.org/OLAC/protocol.html] can be accompanied by
> one or more XML documents which more or less transparently implement them.
>
> I would be grateful for any advice about how to test for set membership
> using an XML validation language.

You should take a look at Schematron [1] which is an validation language
implemented using XSLT. I presented a paper at XSLT-UK provides
some addtional background [2].

Schematron provides the kinds of constraints checking that you require,
and can be used in conjunction with other schema languages. For
example the topologi schema tool [3] is capable of taking a W3C XML
Schema which contains embedded Schematron rules and applying
both sets of constraints.

Let me know if you need any help.

Cheers,

L.

[1]. http://www.ascc.net/xml/resource/schematron/schematron.html
[2]. http://www.bath.ac.uk/~ccslrd/papers/schematron_xsltuk.html
[3]. http://www.topologi.com

--
Leigh Dodds, Research Group, Ingenta | "Pluralitas non est ponenda
http://weblogs.userland.com/eclectic |    sine necessitate"