[OAI-implementers] Queries and OAI

Hussein Suleman hussein@vt.edu
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 11:52:18 -0500

hi

guess i should chip in my 2-cents' worth :)

firstly, as Michael explains, what i am working on falls strictly in the
category of extensions. the ODL project is trying to evaluate:
- extensibility of the OAI protocol
- suitability of OAI-PMH and OAI-PMH extensions for inter-component
communication in a componentized DL
- performance issues in networked OAI-PMH-based DLs

OAI-PMH is, and always should be, a protocol for incremental metadata
transfer.

the whole point of our work is that a usable component model needs a
baseline communications mechanism and some fundamental philosophies of
design. if we can build on OAI, as something that is known, we have a
better chance of success than if we design from scratch (etc ... read
the paper for more :))

this is not really tied to the ETD project, though that is the first
prototype i worked on ... the design philosophies, protocols and
components are meant to be completely retargetable and that is being
tested on an ongoing basis.

i will send out links, demo websites and even some downloadable software
very soon (maybe later today). stay tuned for more details :)

ttfn
----hussein