[OAI-implementers] Validating ListMetadataFormats

Steven Bird Steven Bird <sb@ldc.upenn.edu>
Fri, 08 Feb 2002 10:24:56 EST

I would like to use an XML validation language (e.g. XML Schema) to test
that the document returned by ListMetadataFormats includes a specific
format.  The return typically lists multiple formats, and I just want to
check that the list includes one specific format, e.g.:

<ListMetadataFormats>
  <metadataFormat>
    <metadataPrefix>olac</metadataPrefix>
    <schema>http://www.language-archives.org/OLAC/0.4/olac.xsd</schema>
    <metadataNamespace>http://www.language-archives.org/OLAC/0.4/</metadataNamespace>
  </metadataFormat>
</ListMetadataFormats>

The ListMetadataFormats container is supposed to have set semantics.  I
guess I need a set-membership test, and it also needs to work on element
content (not just element names, attribute names, or attribute values).

Of course it is trivial to write a program to do the test, but I was hoping
to find a fully declarative solution, so that our formal requirements
[http://www.language-archives.org/OLAC/protocol.html] can be accompanied by
one or more XML documents which more or less transparently implement them.

I would be grateful for any advice about how to test for set membership
using an XML validation language.

Thanks,
Steven Bird

--
Steven.Bird@ldc.upenn.edu  http://www.ldc.upenn.edu/sb
Assoc Director, LDC; Adj Assoc Prof, CIS & Linguistics