FW: [OAI-implementers] Open Archives Initiative Protocol for Meta data Harvesting Version 2 news

Simeon Warner simeon@cs.cornell.edu
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 14:18:18 -0500 (EST)

[Admin point first: Can we stop this duplicate posting to oai-general?
The description of oai-general is "The OAI list will keep you informed
about OAI-related activities." I don't think these discussions fall
within that.]

My main objection to including an option for harvesters to specify the
maximum number of records they wish to get in a reply is that this will
force ALL repositories to implement resumptionTokens.  Currently, small
repsotiories (say a few thousand records) can happily ignore that part of
the spec.

One of the primary objectives of OAI is to provide a low barrier to
adoption, particularly on the repository side. I therefore think that
requiring this would go against our objectives, even if it is cleaner in
some ways.

Cheers,
Simeon.