[OAI-implementers] Open Archives Initiative Protocol for Metadata Harvesting Version 2 news

Simeon Warner simeon@cs.cornell.edu
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 15:34:10 -0500 (EST)

I have always failed to see why sets cause so much confusion. Sets ARE
(and will remain) optional! They are optional from both perspectives:

1) a repository may choose not to implement sets (only overhead is
providing a blank ListSets reply)

2) a harvester may ignore sets by never calling ListSets and never
specifying a 'set=' parameter.

I think there is sufficient interest in sets to keep them for those that
do choose to use them.

Cheers,
Simeon.