[OAI-implementers] crosswalks out there?

Heinrich Stamerjohanns stamer@uni-oldenburg.de
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 17:03:10 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, deridder wrote:

> Hi folks, this is off the subject...
>
>   One of the projects I've been asked to take a look at is
> the feasibility of translating current formats of digitized
> metadata into OAI-compliant records on the fly, for a search
> engine to be used at/for one or more repositories.  This is
> basically for folks who have *not* set up OAI-compliant
> repositories, but who want to share their metadata via the
> OAI harvesters (or other search engines) in OAI format.

Hi,

We are converting SOIF (with some DC) records generated by Harvest to an
OAI-compliant form. Basically we scan through the filesystem, and convert
the SOIF records, collected by Harvest from many places, to DC data (if
there is enough metadata) and store the converted data in a database.

We have chosen not to do the conversion on-the fly. Although of course in
principle possible, it all depends on the quality of the metadata. We have
collected many records which turn out to have useless metadata. Even for
"listrecords" we would have to go through all of them again and again,
just to find out that the record has to be thrown away.

One advantage is also that is easier for us to check whether our mapping
and the normalizations (one really terrible thing with existing DC), and
the conversion to XML conformant data is correct.

It is just a bunch of scripts written in PHP, so if you are interested
send mail.

Heinrich

--
  Dr. Heinrich Stamerjohanns  Tel. +49-441-798-4276
  Department of Physics       stamer@uni-oldenburg.de