[OAI-implementers] Celestial: OAI 1.x -> 2.0 gateway

Tim Brody tim@tim.brody.btinternet.co.uk
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 11:36:40 +0100

Dear all,

I've been working on Celestial (my OAI cache/aggregator thingy), and have
made the next version live at:
http://celestial.eprints.org/

This addresses a number of problems (and probably introduces a few new
ones!):
- Splits data over multiple tables (to get around OS 4GB limit)
- Full set support
- Generates UIDs for repositories as "hostname.identifier" for 1.1, or the
repository part of 2.0 repositories
- Improved configuration
- Improved error messages

As you may appreciate its something of a kludge to get the set structure out
of 1.x repositories, so I would appreciate any feedback as to whether this
is working successfully/whether its overloading source repositories?

I've written a short script which exports the list of harvested
repositories:
http://celestial.eprints.org/cgi-bin/ListFriends.pl

This is the same format as the OAI ListFriends.pl, but with an added
attribute "mirror" which is the BaseURL of the repository at Celestial.

Note: The repositories listed in Celestial are only those listed on the OAI
web site, which were working at the time of configuration.

All the best,
Tim Brody