[OAI-implementers] question about OAI protocol requests

Michael L. Nelson mln@ils.unc.edu
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 12:10:58 -0400 (EDT)

Gloria,

A lot of the history & motivation of OAI can be found in these papers (in
this order):

http://www.dlib.org/dlib/february00/vandesompel-ups/02vandesompel-ups.html

http://www.dlib.org/dlib/february00/vandesompel-oai/02vandesompel-oai.html

http://www.cs.cornell.edu/lagoze/papers/oai-jcdl.pdf

http://www.arl.org/newsltr/217/mhp.html

other papers are listed at:

http://www.openarchives.org/documents/papers.html

but I'd recommend those 4 as a place to start.

regards,

Michael

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Gloria Chang wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am the research assistant at National Taiwan University.
> We are just studying and thinking of implementing OAI.
> But I have some questions about the OAI:
>
> 1. Is there any situation in which we can increase or decrease the protocol requests at will?
> 2. Only the 6 functions -- GetRecord, Identify, ListIdentifier, ListMatadataFormats, ListRecords,
>     and ListSets -- are protocol requests. Why? And, why did the committee who draws up the
>     OAI-PMH at beginning choose these 6 protocal requests?
>
> Gloria Chang
> Library and Information Science
> National Taiwan University
> Taipei, Taiwan.