[OAI-implementers] Clarification on deleted records

Leigh Dodds ldodds@ingenta.com
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 16:52:40 +0100

Hi,

I'm not clear on the following wording in the specification, could
someone clarify this for me?

"When returning a harvested record or identifier of a record, the
ListRecords and ListIdentifiers service requests may indicate a status
of "deleted".  This status means that an item has been deleted and
therefore no record can be disseminated from it.   The length of time
that a given repository keeps track of deleted items is not defined by
the protocol.  Therefore, the only guaranteed method in the protocol
for determining whether a record can be returned by a repository
(its corresponding item still exists) is through the GetRecord service
request."

What I'm not sure about is why the only guaranteed method
for determing whether a record can be returned is GetRecord.
The second sentence (reading "This status...") notes that if
the status is deleted, then no record can be returned. So we
already have a definitive answer don't we?

Digging further I see that the GetRecord schema notes that a
record *can* be returned with a deleted status -- which seems
contrary to the above?

However if an identifer doesn't exist then no record will be returned in
the GetRecord response.

So is it the case that records for items with a deleted status will always
be available (i.e. the metadata is can still be harvested) but
after a period (determined by the archive) GetRecord may
subsequently return no metadata.

Thanks in advance,

L.

--
Leigh Dodds, Research Group, Ingenta | "Pluralitas non est ponenda
http://weblogs.userland.com/eclectic |    sine necessitate"