[OAI-implementers] Metadata Formats

John Weatherley jweather@ucar.edu
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 17:19:18 -0600 (MDT)

I am implementing an OAI provider for a digital library project that will
eventually house and serve several different metadata formats. We would
like our collaborators to be able to request a listing of identifiers of
records that are available in a given format (not all records will be
available in all formats).

Currently it appears there is no direct way to make such a query using the
protocol (ie there is no option to include the metadataPrefix argument in
the ListRecords request). One cumbersome solution might be to make a
GetRecords request, then parse out only the identifiers from the return.

Can anyone recommend another solution? Is there a possiblity the option to
include the metadataPrefix argument in a ListRecords request might be
included in future iterations of the protocol?

John Weatherley
Digital Library for Earth System Education (DLESE)