[OAI-implementers] Early Motion Picture records available from LC

Caroline Arms caar@loc.gov
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 17:40:01 -0400 (EDT)

A new set of American Memory records is now available for harvesting using
the Open Archives Metadata Harvesting protocol

at     lcoa1    (baseURL -- http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/oai1_0)

This set has about 700 records for early motion pictures that have been
digitized.  Metadata records are available in oai_dc and oai_marc formats.

When we released our Sheet Music collection Hussein pointed out that we
needed to make sure that all the records had a new datestamp for OAI
purposes (rather than relying on the date on which the underlying
metadata was last changed).  We have changed our date-handling
accordingly.  All the records in the new set have today's date.

The content includes:  341 movies made by Thomas Edison and his staff; 104
films chronicling the life of Theodore Roosevelt; early animations; films
made for the Westinghouse company in 1904 of its factories and
operations and other movies documenting Americans at work and
lesiure; films of the Pan-American Exposition (Buffalo, NY. 1901), of
San Francisco before and after the 1906 earthquake, of New York City
(1897-1906), and of the Spanish-American War and related events.

    Caroline Arms                                         caar@loc.gov
    National Digital Library Program
    Library of Congress