[OAI-implementers] Wording of Data Policy Statements

Stevan Harnad harnad@coglit.ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 13:35:24 +0000 (GMT)

I'm trying to avoid being wordy or obscure here. Does this sound like a
reasonable default metadata, data, and deposit (I avoid the ambiguous
word "submission") policy?  SH

>  <metadataPolicy>
>         <text>No metadata policy defined. This server has not yet been fully configured.</text>
>       </metadataPolicy>

CogPrints metadata are freely accessible to all, and freely re-useable
by all, under the following conditions: (1) The full name(s) of the
author(s) and (2) the full bibliographic reference information for the
paper (date, title, and, if published, journal, volume, and pages, if
any) must always co-appear prominently with any re-use or redisplay of
the metadata, in any medium. The metadata may not be offered for sale
without the formal permission of the author and publisher. (Note:
CogPrints is NOT the publisher; it is merely the online archive. Mention
of Cogprints in re-use is appreciated but not mandatory.)

>       <dataPolicy>
>         <text>No data policy defined. This server has not yet been fully configured.</text>
>         <URL>http://a.url.demo/for/the/sake/of/it.html</URL>
>       </dataPolicy>

CogPrints full-text papers are freely accessible to all, and freely
re-useable by all, under the following conditions: (1) The full name(s)
of the author(s) and (2) the full bibliographic reference information
for the paper (the date, title, and, if published, the copyright
notice, journal, volume, and pages, if any) must always co-appear
prominently with any re-use or redisplay of the text, in any medium.
The text may not be offered for sale without the formal permission of
the author and publisher. (Note:  CogPrints is NOT the publisher; it is
merely the online archive. Mention of Cogprints in re-use is
appreciated but not mandatory.)

>       <submissionPolicy>
>         <text>No submission-data policy defined. This server has not yet been fully configured.</text>
>       </submissionPolicy>
>       <comment>System is EPrints  (http://www.eprints.org)</comment>

CogPrints is intended as a repository for the self-archiving, by their
authors (or, by authorized second parties, or, if the papers are in the
public domain, by anyone), of research papers in the cognitive sciences
(Psychology, Neuroscience, and pertinent portions of Biology, Computer
Science, Linguistics, Philosophy and other pertinent disciplines).
Papers can be (1) refereed, accepted, published final drafts
("postprints") or (2) unrefereed drafts prior to publication
("preprints"). Deposits will be vetted by CogPrints for relevance only;
they will not be otherwise validated or authenticated. Responsibility
for the validity and authenticity of the content of these self-archived
papers rests entirely with the depositor. Any copyright violations are
also entirely the responsibility of the depositor. (CogPrints, if it
receives proof of copyright violation, will immediately remove the
paper in question.)