[OAI-implementers] SetSpec RegExp

ePrints Support support@eprints.org
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 20:03:42 +0100

(if this message appears 3 times, sorry, I kept sending
it from the wrong account)

Argh. I've been working on a minor upgrade to eprints 1.1
to bring it "up to code" with regards to OAI1.1 and I just
discovered that the SetSpec only allows a-zA-Z0-9 and : as
a seperator.

Our standard default sets use '-' all over the place.

I'm looking at encoding the setspecs as hex strings 0-9A-F
so "A" is encoded as "41" etc. This way I can even use UTF-8
which means I can do some very interesting things...

This _will_ mean that people running eprints will have all
their OAI setspec's change. But seeing as their current ones
are illegal, that's not a big problem.

A bigger problem is that where we currently have bio:bio-ani-behav

we now have:
62696F:62696F2D616E692D6265686176
which is less human-readable. Does that really matter as it's just
a key?

Comments please!

--

 Christopher Gutteridge                   support@eprints.org
 ePrints Technical Support                +44 23 8059 4833