[OAI-general] Relative URI as identifier of OAI-PMH

Young,Jeff (OR) jyoung at oclc.org
Tue May 18 14:07:38 EDT 2010

Eiji,

What URI would this be relative to? Keep in mind that URI aliases would be bad for the intended purpose of unambiguous identification of the item across repositories.

As an aside, a Linked Data perspective puts a whole new spin on OAI-PMH. For example, why does OAI-PMH use Uniform *Resource* Identifiers to identify things they don't consider to be a "resource" (viz "items")?

"Note that the identifier described here is not that of a resource."

If we on the OAI-PMH technical committee could have foreseen the TAG httpRange-14 and genericResources-53 decisions, we might have tried harder to rationalize "items" as "resources". The result would have been more RESTful and your question would have been moot.

Jeff