[OAI-general] MODS repository?

Caroline Arms caar at loc.gov
Wed Jan 4 10:26:23 EST 2006

Jody,

LC's OAI repository delivers MODS, but is not open source software ready to use by others.  Our OAI setup is quite closely linked to the rest of the workflow and systems underlying American Memory and other presentations of digitized historical collections at LC (Global Gateway,  Prints and Photographs Online Catalog).

To date, we have simply been using the MARC to MODS stylesheet provided by LC's standards office, with the underlying records being in MARC.  That doesn't currently yield MODS compliant with the DLF Aquifer guidelines.  At some point, that will change, but I'm not sure when.   Making native MODS records OAI-harvestable is also on the to-do list, but without a firm timeframe.

    Caroline Arms                                       caar at loc.gov

>>> Kat Hagedorn <khage at umich.edu> 01/04/06 9:43 AM >>>
Hi Jody,

There are four:

Library of Congress Digitized Historical Collections
http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/oai2_0

Indiana University Digital Library Program
http://oai.dlib.indiana.edu/phpoai/oai2.php
(certain sets)

OCLC Research Publications
http://errol.oclc.org/orpubs.oclc.org.srw2oai

University of Chicago Library Metadata Repository
http://oai.lib.uchicago.edu/
(certain sets)

You can see them in action at our test MODS portal (work in progress...):
http://www.hti.umich.edu/m/mods/

- Kat

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Jody DeRidder wrote:

> Anyone out there have (or know of) an existing open source OAI repository that
> delivers MODS?
>  Since the Aquifer project will require this (and other modifications), this
> will be in demand...  so I thought I'd ask if there's one out there before
> we all start  writing our own.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --jody

Kat Hagedorn