[OAI-general] System Architecture

François Schiettecatte francois@fsconsult.com
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 14:34:56 -0500

Hi

As requested here are two articles on Slashdot about this. For some reason
the article pointed to by the first discussion is dead and the article
pointed to by the last discussion is password protected, but there are of
interesting comments from people, including information about the gear they
used to build their own terabyte servers:

    http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/07/19/1554216&mode=thread

    http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/01/30/0337204&mode=thread

Cheers

Francois

On 2/14/03 9:32 AM, "Les Finken" <les-finken@uiowa.edu> wrote:

> Francois - The University of Iowa is look for a similiar storage
> solution as Amy Hatfield describes.  Posting references to articles on
> storage would be extremely useful.
>
> On Friday, February 14, 2003, at 08:15  AM, François Schiettecatte
> wrote:
>
>> Amy
>>
>> I would encourage people to reply to the list, it is always
>> educational to
>> see how other "did it good", as it were.
>>
>> Given the cheapness of storage these days, I am not sure I would
>> recommend a
>> jukebox set up, unless you really have vast amounts of data. You can
>> now fit
>> close to a terabyte of storage in a standard tower PC using commodity
>> disk
>> drives, ATA controllers, with Linux as your operating system. You can
>> serve
>> that storage to other servers using NFS for example. If you are worried
>> about redundancy, you can always use RAID controllers. I know there
>> have
>> been a number of articles about this on Slashdot and would be happy to
>> dig
>> them out and post references to them here, if there is interest.
>>
>> As an example, The Internet Archive, uses commodity PCs for all its
>> storage,
>> you can check it out at:
>>
>>     http://www.archive.org/
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Francois
>>

>> On 2/14/03 8:49 AM, "Hatfield, Amy J" <ajhatfie@iupui.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello -
>>>
>>> I am currently exploring our institution's ability to create an
>>> institutional repository that is OAI compliant.  I feel I have a fair
>>> understanding of the standards, functionality, etc. involved - and am
>>> leaning toward DSpace as a model - but there is one aspect that I
>>> don't
>>> see discussed very much...  system architecture!
>>>
>>> I would be grateful if folks would share with me some architecture
>>> configurations they have developed.  I am most interested in the
>>> storage
>>> aspect.  I have looked at jukebox technology as a storage backend, but
>>> am not sure about the retrieval aspect.  We also have a super computer
>>> with lots of storage capacity - but it is not designed to handle small
>>> files, but rather large datasets.  Any information you would like to
>>> share will be most appreciated.
>>>
>>> Feel free to respond directly to me if you would rather not post to
>>> the
>>> list.
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>> Amy
>>>
>>> Amy Jo Hatfield, Systems Librarian
>>> Ruth Lilly Medical Library
>>> Educational Technology
>>> (317)278-8402
>>> 975 West Walnut Street
>>> IB-100 Room 102A
>>> Indianapolis, IN 46202-5121

François Schiettecatte                               FS Consulting, Inc.
Phone : (978) 594-5089                  35 Washington Square North, # 2,
Cell  : (617) 909-2504                                  Salem, MA, 01970
Email : francois@fsconsult.com           URL : http://www.fsconsult.com/