[OAI-general] ARTISTE OAI Repository

Alison Stevenson as@it-innovation.soton.ac.uk
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 16:57:56 +0100

ARTISTE is a European Commission supported project that has developed integrated content and metadata-based image retrieval across several major art galleries in Europe.  Collaborating galleries include the Louvre in Paris, the Victoria and Albert Museum in London, the Uffizi Gallery in Florence and the National Gallery in London.

To address issues of interoperability between digital image collections and other important resources of digital cultural information such as digital library collections and the emerging semantic web, ARTISTE supports open standards of information retrieval including the OAI Metadata Harvesting Protocol (v1.1).

A public version of the ARTISTE containing 1000 images from the Victoria and Albert Museum is now available and can be accessed using OAI-PMH by specifying the base URL http://artiste.it-innovation.soton.ac.uk/servlet/OAIServlet.

A dedicated web interface to the ARTISTE OAI Repository is also available at http://artiste.it-innovation.soton.ac.uk/oai_home.html.
More information about the ARTISTE project, the implemented support for OAI and other open standards for information retrieval is available here http://www.it-innovation.soton.ac.uk/artiste/.  The same site also contains information about the SCULPTEUR project which is building on the work of ARTISTE, and as part of the which we hope to update OAI support to v2.0.

We would welcome your feedback and hope you enjoy exploring ARTISTE.

Regards

Alison Stevenson

Alison Stevenson
IT Innovation Centre