[OAI-general] Announcement: 2nd open archives forum workshop
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 04:33:29 -0400
Open Access to
6-7th December 2002, Lisbon, Portugal
(Registration deadline: 1st November 2002)
The organizing committee is very pleased to announce the 2nd Open Archives Forum Workshop, which will be held in Lisbon on 6-7 December, 2002. Registration is open on the Open Archives Forum website (http://www.oaforum.org/workshops/).
The objective of this workshop is to bring together organizations that work in the archival and library fields in order explore whether, and under what conditions, the open archive approach is viable for these organisations. It also intends to promote the establishment of new collaborative links aimed at building interoperable infrastructures for supporting the dissemination of both archival and library resources. A tutorial on the implementation of the Open Archives Initiative Protocol for Metadata Harvesting (OAI-PMH) will be held the afternoon before the workshop for those people who are not familiar with this protocol.
The workshop will consist of both presentations given by invited speakers and small groups' breakout sessions where the participants can discuss key issues, such as:
* How far OAI-PMH is applicable to the electronic records of traditional archives, whether historical or "born digital";
* To what extent OAI-PMH and Dublin Core have been tried out and accepted in the library community;
* Can OAI-PMH enable innovative ways of cross-domain collaboration between archival and library communities?
* How far OAI-PMH crosses over with other interoperability standards and concepts, such as Z39.50 and web services.
Invited speakers include:
* Jose' Borbinha (National Library of Portugal)
* Goran Kristiansson (The Regional Archives in Lund)
* Carl Lagoze (Cornell University)
* George Mackenzie (National Archives of Scotland)
* Mark Bide (Rightscom)
Who should attend
* archivists and librarians who are considering opening their
repositories of information;
* technical, research and project managers who are interested in providing services on interoperable open archives and libraries
* decision makers in the area of libraries and archives looking for new strategic opportunities to promote their organizations and working areas
- - - - - - - - - -
About Open Archives Forum.
The Open Archives Forum provides a Europe-based focus for dissemination of information about European activity related to open archives and, in particular, to the Open Archives Initiative. The aim of the Forum is to facilitate clustering of IST projects, national initiatives and other parties interested in the open archives approach. In order to do so, OA-Forum brings interested parties together to build a community of interest, enable exchange of information and establish a web-based European information source for open archives. In addition, OA-Forum undertakes comparative reviews of technical and organisational issues. OA-Forum is funded as an accompanying measure within the Information Societies Technology (IST) Programme, a theme of the European Union's Fifth Framework Programme managed by the Information Society Directorate-General of the European Commission. The partners of OAF are: University of Bath-UKOLN (United Kingdom), Istituto di Scienza e Tecnologie della Informazione -CNR (Italy) and Computing Center of Humboldt University (Germany).
- - - - - - - - - -