[OAI-general] Beginners Question

Jürgen Beling beling@zpid.de
Wed, 05 Jun 2002 12:53:41 +0200

Hello,
we are at the onset of a project planning to document and archive
psychological raw data sets as addidition to the publications. We are
going to describe the data sets with metadata (XML) and store them in a
database. Researchers should have access to a variety of aspects, e.g.
research instruments, variables, methods. We plan to use our existing
LinuxApacheMysqlPerl-Components.

The local University Library here presently has no plans to implement a
metadata harvesting service within the near future.

The question: Should our descriptions of data sets follow rules
compliant to OAI repositories/protocols? Could our developing collection
this way become perhaps compatible without extensive reformatting at
some later dates?
Should we attend the "2.nd workshop on the OAI" (CERN, close by)?
Any comments would be appreciated,
Regards, Juergen

--
Dipl. Psych. Juergen Beling
Z P I D - Universitaet Trier - Universitaetsring 15 - D-54296 Trier -