[OAI-general] EPrints-2 Alpha-2 released
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 19:36:14 +0000
EPRINTS-2-ALPHA-2 released (09/01/2002)
EPrints is free software for creating large web-based archives
of papers (or whatever you want) with the metadata stored in an
SQL back end.
EPrints v1 is in use by a number of sites (see eprints.org)
for a list. Using our own ideas and feedback from users we have
created eprints-2. This is only an alpha release so not all the
features work yet (that would be beta), but the main parts of
the system are complete.
EPrints-2 new features:
- multilanguage support (site in french & english if you
really wanted), option to have multilingual metadata -
eg. the title and abstract in english & french and
presented in the language of the user viewing.
- XML configuration files rather than ASCII - a bit harder
to get started but ensures no ambiguity and lets you
have non-ASCII characters.
- OO design. Although the functions are not fixed in stone
the system has been built to be strictly OO (well, as
strict as PERL will let it be) and it will be possible
to build your own scripts to process the database without
having to start using SQL.
- The phrase files used for internationalisation are also
useful to customise the interface without having to hack
- Much of the website look and feel is done with style-sheets,
again to avoid the need for hacking the code.
- Support for other authentication methods eg. LDAP using 3rd
party modules currently available.
- Abstraction of the SQL.
- configurable searches (what fields do you want to be
offered as user search pages?)
A couple of notable features which are not yet implemented:
- alerts - users can configure a once-a-week (or whatever)
search and be mailed if any new items appear in it each
- OAI support. This is very important to us, but is not on
the critical path to making the software work. It will be
added in a later version.
If you really can't wait the software is available online from:
But you should be aware that it requires apache with some
configuration options to run effiently + some other freely
available software such as MySQL. Install info is included in
the .tar.gz in the docs dir.
I welcome and look forward to comments, abuse, praise, bug-
The EPrints.org 2 server is being developed at the University
of Southampton. Mostly by me, Christopher Gutteridge, with a bit
of help from Mike Jewell.
Christopher Gutteridge email@example.com
ePrints Technical Support +44 23 8059 4833