[OAI-general] Query: repeatable DC elements and attributes for language

Hussein Suleman hussein@vt.edu
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 13:42:44 -0500

hi

yes, DC elements are repeatable when used according to the OAI schema.

as far as language tags go, "xml:lang" parameters will not survive
strict validation tests since the OAI schema does not explicitly allow
it. i just tried this using both XSV and Xerces options on the
repository explorer and both returned errors for an "xml:lang"
attribute. i suspect that since the official data provider registry uses
XSV, it will not pass those tests either ...

but this is simply a question of changing the schema to make it more
inclusive and as far as i know, that is currently being considered as a
possibility. for NDLTD, we have already done this in the ETDMS schema
(http://www.ndltd.org/standards/metadata/etdms/1.0/etdms.xsd) and i know
the IMS metadata group has done the same in their latest specs ... i
think OAI will go this route sooner or later ...

as a short-term solution, how about creating a new schema strictly for
this purpose ? and then use it instead of the OAI one ? if you are
interested, i can help ...

about ordering, i thought XML was inherently ordered ? am i wrong about
this ?

ttfn
----hussein

hussein suleman - hussein@vt.edu - vtcs - http://www.husseinsspace.com