[OAI-general] Re: Kepler: Author-Based Archivelets

Xiaoming Liu liu_x@cs.odu.edu
Thu, 31 May 2001 17:01:54 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Tim,

There is no problem of implementing kepler functionalities using existing
web server, like most OAI compliant data providers. But the key difference
here is the targetted users, kepler is supposed to be used by common users
(not necessarily computer science major) in desktop, for many of these
users, it may not be easy/convenient to install a complex web server and
make it OAI-compliant.

The model of kepler is very similiar to napster/gnutella, people simply
download it and share their files. I think both centralized model
(traditional webserver) and distributed model (peer-2-Peer) can implement
the file sharing functionalities, but both have its advantages and can not
substitute each other.

regards,
liu