[OAI-general] OAI and web crawlers

Eric Hellman eric@openly.com
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 11:10:32 -0400

Well, you can pay Inktomi about 25 cents per record to crawl your
site. In the current economic environment, you won't find much
interest from the mainstream search engines unless they add to the
bottom line.

Google is probably the most sophisticated crawler. Google ignores all
metadata that you provide it, on the reasonable assumption that all
webmasters stuff keywords to try to rig search results. Google will
follow a link into a DL; having a fixed, unique URL for each item
will maximize traffic from google.

Google has roots in the Stanford DL program, an approach them from
that direction.

You can see the results of our "overtures to the webcrawling
community". Search for "the origins of chinese communism" at google.

Northern Light is probably a good first target for outreach because
they build specialty search engines.

Danny Sullivan's  Search Engine Watch. at
http://www.searchenginewatch.com/ is a good place to learn more.
Getting Danny interested in OAI would  be a good way to reach out to
this community.

Eric

--
Eric Hellman