[OAI-general] OAI and intellectual property issues

Steve Hitchcock sh94r@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 17:28:13 +0100

The spirit of OAi seems to have been well observed so far, but in the
broadening of OAi to digital libraries there are dangers ahead. This thread
highlights this but hasn't really got to grips with it.

The relevant legislation seems to be Directive 96/9/EC, Legal Protection of
Databases, the implications of which are briefly described at
http://www.asis.org/Bulletin/May-00/webber.html
and a copy of the directive at
http://www.law.nyu.edu/engelbergcenter/legislativewatchinternational/DraftDbDirAnlOvrvw.html

Expert interpretations seem to be hard to find. Charles Oppenheim has
written about this, but I can't find anything online to link to.

I guess this directive would give Thomas' RePEc database some protection.
The point about preventing others from building similar services using OAi
metadata would seem to be trickier.

Herbert has covered the data provider issues. From the legal point of view
I'm not sure there is anything exceptional in the relationship between OAi
DPs and service providers, compared with a non-OAi equivalent. The
difficulty DPs have in setting terms of use at this stage is that maybe
they can't anticipate what SPs will want to use their data or, more
significantly, what their business models will be.

Steve