[OAI-general] OAI and intellectual property issues

José Luis Borbinha jose.borbinha@bn.pt
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 01:33:17 +0100

If your data is available for free, even under terms and
conditions for usage, how is a commercial company going to make
money just exploiting a web site with it? (well, in fact
AltaVista and Google have been doing that, as other metacrawlers
have been doing with them, and so on... so I'm afraid that we are
all contradicting ourselves...).

On the other side if you've built a digital library, that should
mean that you have collected one or more collection of resources,
and that you developed your metadata to describe these resources.
And it is this metadata that you put available through OAI, not
the resources (which can be movies, texts, or more and richer
metadata...)

A good thing that I see in OAI is its simplicity and button-up
approach. It'd be sad to see it intoxicated by its possible
success and jump in complicated processes and visions like we had
for Z39.50, for the top levels of the ISO model, etc...

I was aware that I was entering in dangerous areas with my
previous email (I'm not so naive neither libertarian...), but I
think that this is in fact a very interesting issue to discuss,
since it raises the core problem of the scope of the OAI!!!
Very often nice initiatives have been failing nowadays because of
the lack of clear and understandable objectives! They start as
exploratory activities, in the hope that the light will come in
one of the next coners, but in the end they simply get lost in
messy and confuse purposes...

So, for the future, I'd like to post here my position about this:
please lets try to keep the model simple, and assume that what we
put available through a public OAI interface is just structured
data for public usage, available for usages in meta services just
like AltaVista and Google have been doing with our sites. This
doesn't excludes the usage of private OAI networks for more
restricted materials/purposes/data, but lets not afect the OAI
work with these requirements for now, or at leat until we have it
really imposed (which can be the case, but it we are not there
yet...).
But of course that you all can disagree of me... :-)

Regards,
Jose Borbinha