[OAI-general] Dealing with different type of data provider

Xiaoming Liu liu_x@cs.odu.edu
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 18:08:13 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Robert,

It's interesting that we are doing similiar work in kepler project.
(http://www.dlib.org/dlib/april01/maly/04maly.html), the approach of
kepler is like:

1. We maintain a centralized registration server (LDAP).
2. Whenever user installs the unstable data provider( we call it
archivelet), the user will register a unique name in LDAP.
3. Whenever user starts/stops, archivelet will notify the LDAP server.
4. The service provider will periodically query the LDAP server, get all
the active archivelet list, and do the metadata harvesting, besides,
service provider will also cache full-text document.
5. The end-user could search service provider, get the cached full-text
document, or get the original document from archivelet if it's active.
6. The service provider is also a data provider too, and could register
it in OAI website (but archivelet won't). it could expose the
harvested metadata. However, it will assign new OAI identifier to
harvested data, thus it won't arise any naming conflict in OAI naming
space.

We are also interested in the "notify/subscribe" model as you mentioned,
basically OAI protocol is "pull" model based, your solution is like kind
of mixture of "push" and "pull" model, and there are probabaly another
pure "push" model- data provider sends its update to service provider
directly. It willl be very interesting to study the trade-off of these
approaches and their influences to OAI protocol.

regards,
liu